Which family joins Ryan Reynolds and Tom Brady as new EFL club owners after Carlisle United’s takeover?

This is a crucial period in football where clubs are changing ownerships for the greater good and Carlisle United is the latest club to witness this. From the low tiers of English football to the Premier League, clubs are being bought by new owners in terms of majority or minority stakes.

It’s an exciting period for Carlisle United and their fans, who have seen American businessman Tom Piatak and his family, take control of the League One club. This is on the back of Ryan Reynold’s ownership of Wrexham and NFL legendary quarterback Tom Brady’s investment in Birmingham City FC.

Carlisle United confirms Piatak family as new owners

The Piatak family first registered their interest in buying Carlisle United in February, and the fans must be happy that their efforts have paid off. The family managed to secure a 90% stake in the club, making them the majority shareholders, but it is widely believed they would always consult the club’s supporters’ trust, who own the remaining 10% of the club, per GOAL.

Source: Yahoo Sport UK

“Carlisle United Football Club can now confirm that following EFL approval, the ownership and control of the club has changed,” the club said in a statement on their website.

“The new owners are Castle Sports Group, owned by the Piatak family from Jacksonville, Florida, USA. We offer them a huge Cumbrian welcome to Carlisle United. Everyone associated with the club is delighted and looking forward to a long and successful future together,” the club concluded.

Now that the takeover has been confirmed, several members of the Piatak family will reportedly fly to England to watch their new club play against Charlton Athletic at Brunton Park this weekend.

Although considered a struggling club, the takeover of Carlisle United has been met with great excitement by fans, who believe their new owners are capable of turning the club’s fortunes around.

The Piatak family continues the new trend of American ownership in English football following NFL personality Tom Brady’s purchase of Birmingham City earlier this year.

Big crowd to welcome new era at Carlisle United

Carlisle United, which was previously owned by the club’s supporters’ trust, has now been successfully purchased by the Piatak family through their company Castle Sports Group. In a weekly column on News&Star, a CUOSC spokesman Malcolm Nugent, claimed a bumper crowd will be at the Brunton Park on Saturday to welcome the club’s new ownership.

fam 1
Source: News & Star

“The American businessman Tom Piatak and his family have taken control of the club, leaving everyone dreaming of an exciting future,” Nugent said.

“CUOSC have long been working to bring about succession of ownership and believe the takeover and promised new investment is great news for the Blues.”

“Although our shareholding has now been reduced, we have a good relationship with the new owners and believe we can make a difference, but as the major representative of supporters, we have to make sure we remain relevant,” the spokesperson added.

gggg 1
Source: News & Star

American owners have been accused of throwing money around in the EFL, with Ryan Reynolds risking the wrath of a fellow club owner by announcing a ticket price slash on Saturday.

Will the Piatak family succeed in making Carlisle United a success again?


Leave a Comment